To join in the Flickr Machine Tag Challenge all you need to do is add a machine tag to Flickr using a National Library of Australia party identifier.
(See What’s an identifier? for background.)
This is very easy using Wragge’s Identity Browser with it’s advanced bookmarklet technology. Below are some instructions to help you:
The instructions vary a little depending on the browser you’re using, but the procedure is basically the same.
- Make sure the bookmarks toolbar is visible.
- Firefox: Go to View > Toolbars and check ‘Bookmarks Toolbar’
- Chrome: On the Spanner menu, check ‘Always show bookmarks toolbar’ (Ctrl+B)
- IE7: Go to Tools > Toolbars and check ‘Links’
- IE8: Go to View > Toolbars and check ‘Favourites’
- Go to Wragge's Identity Browser and click on the ‘Bookmarklet’ tab
- Locate the ‘Identify me!’ link
- Add the ‘Identify me!’ link to your bookmarks toolbar
- Firefox and Chrome: Just drag the link to the toolbar
- IE: Right click link, choose ‘Add to favourites’, ignore warnings.
In the ‘Add a favourite’ box select the bookmarks toolbar (‘Links’ in IE7, ‘Favourites bar’ in IE8) in the ‘Create in’ dropdown. Click ‘Add’
- A brand new ‘Identify me!’ button should now be sitting in your bookmarks toolbar. Congratulations!
- Find a photo in Flickr that you want to add a machine tag to.
- Use your mouse to highlight a name in the title, description or an existing tag. You can search for names in various forms such as: John Smith; J Smith; Smith, John; John Smith’s etc.
- Click on the ‘Identify me!’ button on your bookmarks toolbar to search for the name using the Identity Browser.
- The Identity Browser will load with the search results. (If no matches were found, you might want to modify your search, perhaps using the * wildcard character to broaden your options.)
- Once you've found the right person, click on the link to display their full entry.
- Click on the ‘Machine tags’ tab to display the machine tags.
- If necessary, choose something other than ‘foaf:depicts’ from the dropdown list.
- Click on the machine tags box to select the tags. Copy them.
- Back in Flickr, click on the ‘Add a tag’ link.
- Simply paste the tags into the box and click ‘Add’
- You'll see Flickr automatically recognises them as machine tags and adds them. All done!